A jack-of-all-trades is the master of none. And the same goes for real estate agents. If you try to appeal to everyone, you won’t attract anyone. But how do you find your niche? And then how do you go about marketing that thing that makes you different?
Avery Carl has carved out a niche in the short-term rental (STR) market. She began her career as a marketing manager in the music business and started investing in vacation rentals to save money for retirement. Today, she is the investor-agent behind The Short-Term Shop, a team that specializes in helping investors buy STR property and set up their listings.
On this episode of the Real Estate Marketing Dude podcast, Avery joins me to explain how she became an expert in vacation rentals and share the AHA moment when she decided to focus solely on STRs—and stop trying to serve everyone. She discusses the best markets for vacation rentals and describes how her knowledge of the space has become a value-add in her business. Listen in for Avery’s insight on striking up a conversation with potential investor-clients and learn how to define the niche that will differentiate YOU as an agent!
- How Avery got into real estate through investing + became an expert in vacation rentals
- The AHA moment when Avery decided to focus on STRs vs. trying to serve everyone
- Why Avery encourages investors to buy in drivable, established vacation rental markets
- How Avery makes her knowledge of vacation rentals a value-add in her business
- Avery’s insight on how to find a relatable niche that you can become the expert at
- Where Avery goes to connect with real estate investors
- What STR markets are performing well as COVID restriction ease
- Avery’s approach to striking up a conversation with a potential investor-client
- The returns Avery typically generates on her vacation rental portfolio