Only 9% of people find their real estate agent online. That leaves 91% who do business through a referral or someone they already know. So, let’s say you want to sell 20 homes next year. You would either need 22 referrals from your database or a whopping 500 Zillow leads!
Garrett Maroon started his real estate career on a team in Southeast Virginia in 2014. He went solo in 2016 and sold 50 homes without making a single cold call, without doing a single open house, and without purchasing a single online lead—and he only worked 40 hours per week. Last year, he sold 50 houses working just 20 hours a week. And today, he helps other real estate agents build relationships and market their database through Business by Referral.
On this episode of the podcast, Garrett joins me to discuss why it’s crucial to market your database for referrals rather than direct business, explaining why so few buyers find their agent online and how the stats haven’t changed since 2008. He walks us through his 36-touch system for staying in front of your sphere on a consistent basis and describes why the majority of his content is not related to real estate. Listen in for Garrett’s insight on throwing virtual client parties in the COVID era and learn how to work less and earn more with a referral-based real estate business.
- How Garrett sold 50 homes in his third year without making a cold call or buying a lead (in just 40 hours a week)
- Why it’s crucial to market your database for referrals vs. direct business
- Why only 9% of buyers find their agent online and how that stat hasn’t changed since 2008
- The power of a video text/email to help build relationships
- Why you should stop renting your business and start owning it
- Garrett’s 36-touch system for staying in front of your sphere on a consistent basis
- Why the majority of Garrett’s content is not related to real estate
- The mistake agents make in being the hero rather than the guide when they reach out to past clients
- How Garrett has continued to put on client parties in the COVID era (i.e.: virtual movie night, holiday lights tour)
- Garrett’s mission to help agents work less and make more with a referral-based business